TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-Tarwater Farm & Home picked up the top prize at Tuesday’s 41st Annual Small Business Awards ceremony.
The event, which ran from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Townsite Avenue Ballroom, 535 S. Kansas Ave., attracted several hundred people.
Attendees ate lunch on meat tips before viewing narrated highlights of each of the 23 businesses nominated for nine award categories.
Matt Pivarnik, president and chief executive officer of the Greater Topeka Partnership, applauded all small businesses in the Topeka area during his speeches.
“Small businesses – they’re big business in Topeka,” Pivarnik said. “Small businesses are big business in Topeka.”
Pivarnik said 90 percent of all companies in the capital city are small businesses.
In addition, he said, half of all jobs – about 41,000 in all – in Topeka are in small businesses. The annual payroll for employees of Topeka’s small businesses is $ 1.6 billion, he added.
The full list of winners of Tuesday’s ceremony:
• Young Entrepreneur Award – Alejandro Mateos, of Naly’s Outdoor Co.
• Micro Enterprise Award – Blue Jazz Coffee.
• Emerging Innovation Venture Award – Brew Bank.
• Women-Owned Small Business Award – Asset Life Cycle
• Minority Owned Small Business Rewards – Harris & Sons Enterprises
• Veteran Owned Small Business Rewards –Anneal Initiative
• Small Business Manufacturer Award – PlainsCraft Covered Wagons
• Small Business Exporter Award – Working with Harris
• Leading Small Business in the City of the Year – Tarwater Farm and House
Copyright 2022 WIBW. All rights reserved.